Why work at Zapier?
Zapier is on a mission to make everyone more productive at work. Zapier has helped over 1.8 million individuals and businesses with their automation needs. They’re looking for a high performing Payroll Specialist to manage and scale our payroll at Zapier, ensure accurate processing and recording of company payrolls, provide timely and accurate financial information, and manage all cycles relating to payroll and benefits. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment that is never boring.
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. They do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
They believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. They want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
They believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle.
They believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
They believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
- You have 5+ years of proven experience processing payroll for a company of 300+ employees.
- You have proven experience as a payroll specialist or manager, with a solid understanding of payroll fundamentals and best practices.
- You have an excellent understanding of multi-state and international payroll and have experience managing payroll for the US, Canada and UK.
- You stay up to date on all current payroll regulations and laws.
- You work independently and own your work start to finish
- You’re familiar with a number of HR/payroll systems and advocate for best practices, but experience with ADP Canada, ADP UK, and/or ADP Australia are a huge plus!
- You’re analytical, methodical, and work with a high degree of accuracy.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment, are highly organized, and understand how to prioritize.
- You are detailed-oriented and care about the nitty gritty.
- You’re a collaborator and can work closely cross-departmentally in an asynchronous environment.
- You’re eager to take on any project that comes your way no matter how big or how small.
- You have excellent written communication skills.
Things You Might Do:
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you’ll probably do:
- Manage all payroll processing and process semimonthly and monthly payrolls in the U.S. and internationally, including updating payroll related data and managing overall payroll workflow.
- Work with Recruiting, Compensation, and HR to ensure timely processing of all new hires, promotions, terminations and bonuses across multiple systems.
- Provide timely and accurate expense reimbursements to employees.
- Develop and improve payroll processes so they are efficient and scalable.
- Serve as subject matter expert on payroll issues, responding to employee questions in a timely manner through Slack and email.
- Provide world-class customer service and handle confidential concerns quickly and accurately.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local payroll and tax requirements for both US and international entities.
- Record journal entries for payrolls and reconcile financial statement accounts to ensure accuracy.
- Experiment: this is a startup so everything can change.
As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
The Whole Package
Our distributed environment lets us work with the best people. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary
- Healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Your own equipment. We’ll set you up with an Apple laptop and provide an additional budget for you to choose other home office accessories and software you may need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year.
- Travel of 5% – 10% for company retreats which rotate to various cities throughout North America. We will resume retreats when it’s safe to travel again. Retreats typically take place twice a year as a company, once a year as a team. All expenses paid (flights, meals, transportation, etc.).
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
To find out more head to:
- You have at least two years of experience recruiting roles at a software and/or technology company. You have experience evaluating candidates for a variety of roles. You enjoy the challenge of finding exceptional talent. Bonus points if you have experience hiring technical positions!
- You’re a trusted partner in talent. You are an advocate for creativity and out-of-the-box thinking to drive the best decisions with your hiring managers. You advise interview teams on the best approach to fill their positions and create/manage a process that delights candidates and empowers hiring decisions
- You are a champion for diversity hiring & inclusive interview practices. At Zapier, we think that hiring and fostering a diverse team is just the right thing to do. A successful Recruiter will create and deliver on D&I initiatives set by the business and the Recruiting team.
- You provide an incredible candidate experience. You sweat the small stuff but keep the big picture in mind. You know that a job search is a challenging task and prioritize providing a more human experience for everyone that interacts with Zapier during a hiring process.
- You have experience with Applicant Tracking Systems or CRM systems. Here at Zapier, we use Greenhouse and Gem. If you’ve not used these tools, you should feel comfortable researching them and pushing buttons to see what happens.
- You are data-oriented. You track pipeline health to balance your priorities and set hiring manager expectations.
- You are resourceful. You’re willing to research questions, talent, and companies to find the answers and great people to recruit.
- You are persistently helpful. No matter if it is diversity outreach or screening of applicants, you are an unstoppably helpful member for our operations team, to both the hiring managers and candidates.
Things You Will Do
Zapier is a fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you’ll probably do:
- Identify talented candidates. You’ll experiment by yourself or by working in tandem with hiring managers to reach out efficiently to potential candidates.
- Emphasize diversity and inclusivity. You’ll look for traditional and non-traditional methods to increase the likelihood we can bring new perspectives to the team.
- Find or create new sources of talent. LinkedIn might be a great tool, but you’ll always look for new and unique ways to source talented folks.
- Screen candidates. You’ll serve as the filter of the top of the funnel to maximize the hiring team’s time and focus on interviewing the best candidates.
- Successfully juggle a variety of roles at once. At any given time you could be working on filling 5-10 (or more at times) open roles.
- Assist with developing job posts, hiring plans, and rubrics. You’ll work with the hiring manager to tighten up job descriptions, screening rubrics, and manage the hiring process along the way.
- Iterate on candidate feedback. You’ll smooth rough edges in the hiring process by iterating on feedback from candidates or other signals.
- Nurture relationships with individuals and groups. You’ll help build personal relationships through introductions, references, or by facilitating participation with community groups.
- Develop a diverse pipeline for all current and future roles.
- As a part of Zapier’s all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
To find out more head to:
Head of Support Operations
They’re looking for a Head of Support Operations leader to help grow our support team and play a critical role in shaping the support experience. Zapier’s on a mission to make everyone more productive at work. Zapier has helped over 1.8 million individuals and businesses with their automation needs.
- You are a skilled and empathic Customer and Operations leader. You have experience getting results with other senior leaders. Your success is defined by how well the support and customer facing teams are able to reach their goals. You’ve previously worked with others to develop processes and teams that influence the goals of others
- You’ve scaled support teams before. You’ve been involved in supporting the growth of support teams and would be well suited to lead our Operations team and help grow Zapier from ~125 to 250+ customer champions and beyond.
- You are a skilled mentor and coach. You realize the best way to grow a team is by helping them to grow themselves. You’re able to effectively share your experience and provide a clear framework for growth.
- You are comfortable in a Product led, Customer driven environment. You are able to relate to our customers and team members to provide and translate technical approaches into business applications in a simple and clear manner. We need you to have worked in a business where software is the product so that you understand our business model and the support team’s impact there.
- You’re a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You’ll use written summaries and reports to communicate vision, strategy, plans, findings, and results to the support and full Zapier team.
- You are data driven. You know how to pick the right metrics, forecast our goals and measure our progress against them. You are comfortable using data to proactively assess and collaboratively develop key support programs that add value to our customers and our business.
- You’re a champion for doing things efficiently. At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe in systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. The current support team at Zapier includes roughly 125+ people who know a lot about integrations and APIs.
That said, here are some things you’ll probably do:
- Lead the teams that manage the implementation and fine-tuning of customer support processes, systems, training, quality and cross functional programs. These teams include Program Management, Training & Quality, Systems Administration, Systems Engineering and Workforce Management
- Leverage your cross functional role to make sure we measure the right things, prioritize the right projects and oversee the operations of systems, support products and workflows.
- Collaborate with your peers to develop and implement the strategy for 24×7 global customer support including scheduling, workforce management, and real-time queue management. Help us prepare for International growth and multi-language support
- Help establish, measure and monitor customer KPIs and metrics to track team and organizational impact on the business.
- Work closely with our Decision Science team to build and manage analytics to track/deliver customer insights and develop strategic value add plans based on those insights.
- Innovate and foster a continued environment of experimentation
- Coordinate with the various Support teams and their functions to maximize effectiveness and outcomes.
- Establish meetings and communications cadence, associated reporting and agenda requirements, and team preparedness or monthly/quarterly business reviews and planning processes.
- Work closely with our Community and Docs teams and support their efforts to augment training, documentation and quality reviews to ensure our employee experience and customer experience are outstanding.
- Manage the Support Operations teams to ensure we are informing our Product team of insights that will help drive customer self service, retention and growth.
- Ensure implementation of customer facing changes are incorporated in our overall Support planning and strategy.
- You will manage teams of highly skilled individuals who have specialized expertise in the areas mentioned above. You must bring this group together as a high functioning, high performing team, while fostering individual career growth.
Required Skills / Qualifications
- At least 10 years of customer support leadership experience in high growth environments is required
- Proven experience leading business process and systems implementation projects from start to finish
- Proven leadership skills; ability to develop individuals and foster teamwork, including among remote staff
- Program and project management skills; ability to prioritize multiple objectives and work efficiently to meet deadlines
- Exceptional technical skills. Comfortable with APIs. Demonstrated experience deploying, managing, and overseeing the use of relevant third-party applications, in-house developed solutions, and adoption of emerging technologies.
- Experience as a Product Leader for Support tooling development and innovation. Collaborate with highly technical team members to ensure they are supported in their custom development and innovation endeavors
- Ability to collaborate with highly technical team members to ensure they are supported in their custom development endeavors. Demonstrable experience in providing written summaries and reports to communicate vision, strategy, plans, findings, and results to the support and full Zapier team
- Comfortable with ambiguity and experience with experimentation: We are a high growth company trying new things and everything can change.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, commit to interfacing with our customers and use what you learn to inform your business decisions.
To find out more head to:
Technical Support Engineer
- You’re empathetic. You’ll be working directly with customers using our services as well as developers who are building on our platform as they overcome problems. You’re able to put yourself in their shoes and help point them in the right direction—whether that means sending a link to relevant documentation or explaining a more complex concept in clear terms.
- You love code and APIs. You are proficient at reading and writing code and genuinely enjoy making and maintaining software. You’ve worked with many APIs and have a fundamental understanding of how they work. You have a solid intuition for what could be causing an API to respond to a request with an error, and you know the little tricks you can employ to get misbehaving requests back on track. You’re comfortable working with code and logs to diagnose, fix, and safeguard against API issues.
- You love figuring things out. You enjoy being presented with situations that don’t have an immediately obvious answer and relish finding the solution. You are excited, not intimidated, by problems you don’t know the answer to. You love applying the things you have learned to unfamiliar situations in order to see the deeper patterns that connect seemingly disparate issues.
- You love variety. You would enjoy a multifaceted role that interacts with a wide variety of people, topics, and issues. The idea of seeing something new and different every day is invigorating. You are able to learn and act quickly to keep up with rapidly changing and sometimes unfamiliar situations.
- You’re an excellent written communicator. We’re a 100% remote team, and writing is our primary means of communication at Zapier and to our end users. You have a very strong command of written English and your writing is concise but effective.
- You’re solid at time management. You can balance a variety of projects and responsibilities without getting overwhelmed. As a part of a distributed team, you’ll be trusted to work with minimal supervision. As a part of a growing company, you have an opportunity to make a big impact, and you’re keen to build processes that’ll make your job more efficient over time.
Things You’ll Do
- Serve as a point of internal escalation on technical issues within the Support org, helping our Customer Champions level up their troubleshooting skills and tackle harder issues
- Create and improve documentation to help users and partners help themselves
- Employ your programming skills to triage and fix bugs on our platform, and to oversee fixes coming in from Customer Champions
- Focus on sustainability by seeking out projects that improve the lives of the people around you and the customers they support
- Find other opportunities to move the team, the org, and the company forward, such as contributing to building and maintaining internal tools, code review, mentoring
To find out more head to:
Teams that are hiring:
- Developer Platform: We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to join the Dev Platform team. We want to empower developers to easily extend Zapier with new integrations. This allows anyone to do complex, incredible things with our product. Time zone: UTC-8 to UTC-5
- Billing Platform: The Billing Team strives to make it incredibly easy to purchase Zapier across the globe. Join us as we build systems that power purchasing, subscription management, and customer support. We provide clarity for our customers and earn their trust through operational reliability. We practice empathetic communication with our close partners inside the company and enthusiastic teamwork across disciplines. Time zone: UTC-3 to UTC-7
Team Manage: Team Manage builds and maintains new services that are directly responsible for empowering our users to organize and search their Zaps and Apps on the platform. You’ll work closely with other backend engineers on our team to gain familiarity with our systems and grow your technical and soft skills. You will also engage with other product team stakeholders at Zapier to ensure we maintain alignment as the systems we own continue to mature. Time zone: UTC-3 to UTC-7
- You love building. You have at least three years of experience as a Software Engineer. You’re familiar with Python and backend frameworks such as Django. You enjoy a balance of application development and reliability tuning. Zapier is built on Python, Django, React, Node.js, and AWS. We use modern tools, which means you’ll have the opportunity to work with software like Memcached, RabbitMQ, Docker, GitLab and Redis.
- You excel working on a team. You enjoy being part of a team that solves problems together, collaborating on ideas and working to meet team goals. You like pairing up with teammates when someone gets blocked. You give and accept feedback professionally and don’t let ego get in the way of delivering the best solution for the customer. You can summarize technical concepts effectively as you work with people from disciplines outside of engineering.
- You embrace service ownership. You appreciate the speed and autonomy a team has when it owns its services. You also know ownership comes with the responsibility to monitor your team’s services and make sure they are reliable and performant.
- You love shipping to customers. Nothing we build matters if it isn’t meeting customers’ needs. You’ll be on a team that collaborates with internal customers’ to provide interfaces to our vast collection of integrations. You’ll also learn to empathize with Zapier’s end users and add capabilities to the Platform that enable Zapier to offer new products. You’ll have the opportunity to ship code daily that will be used by millions of people.
- You love doing things efficiently. At Zapier, we believe in “Don’t be a Robot, Build the Robot.” We build systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
- You love learning. Engineering is an ever-evolving world. You enjoy exploring areas that you might not have experience with yet. You have a balanced approach to adopting new tech vs using well-understood patterns.
Things You Might Do
- Directly impact how our customers can be more productive by building and supporting the foundational building blocks of Zapier.
- Redesign and build services that execute API calls to thousands of 3rd party APIs. REST, GraphQL, XML-RPC; we handle them all!
- Work with Amazon services like Lambda and MSK to build scalable solutions that process millions of requests.
- Operate and scale the systems you and your team build.
- Ship code to millions of users every week.
- Build and scale web products that directly impact our customers or partners.
- Create tooling that enables automation that leverage other microservices in our architecture.
- Develop solutions based on containerized microservices in a cloud based infrastructure
- Monitor reliability and performance through dashboards and tools to ensure availability
- Dig into bugs and feature requests
- Work and collaborate with other engineering and product teams to help them deliver value to customers in new and exciting ways
- Travel of 5% – 10% for company retreats that rotate to various cities throughout North America
To find out more head to: